Thursday, March 30, 2017

Makerspace first impressions

When Mr. McGowan first approached me about this project, I didn't really know what it would entail, but I knew I wanted to be a part of it.  To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure what a makerspace was, and as Mr. McGowan explained it to me, all I could see was incredible opportunity and potential.  As I Googled what a makerspace was, I could see the various set ups and uses different schools had and started to think about how flexible the idea was... which is an ideal situation for figuring out how this could work in our community and in our schools.  

In a time where we are constantly using buzzwords such as "Common Core" and "standardized testing," we need to remember to give students time to be kids.  This is what was so appealing to me about the makerspace- the basic concept encouraged kids to invent, be creative, explore.  In the makerspace, they can use their innovation and problem solving skills to literally have a space to just make things.  It's an incredible concept! 

Our first few weeks bringing the mobile makerspace to Ashland Middle School was extremely successful.  I enjoyed seeing the creativity students were using as they learned about circuits and came up with their own project ideas.  I think the most powerful part of our program so far is the collaboration between students across grade levels.  Our high school students, the Makerspace Mentors, took an active approach to working with the middle school students, showing them how parts worked and encouraging their ideas.  It was inspiring to see our high school students turn into teachers through hands on demonstrations and explaining to students how things worked.  I was especially impressed at how the high school students could articulate to the middle school students the technicalities and potential of the kits they were using, instead of merely telling them what to do.  It was a true learning opportunity on both sides!

I don't know what types of projects the Mindess Elementary School students will come up with in our next session, but I know everyone will have fun and will leave wanting more.   Thank you to all of our supporters- we can't wait to continue to show you what fun everyone is having!

No comments: